Moving further along that thought, i’ll really like to purchase my own domain name and server space soon so that i can keep all my old audio and Trios online… there’s no better way to trace the evolution of my songs and i than to listen to the differences from week to week and month to month. The new song is a perfect example; it first started off as me goofing around with some lyrics that had been floating in my head during the day. Seeing as it talked about joining a punk band, i wanted it to sound “punk” and gave it simple chords. Writing the music wasn’t especially hard, given those limitations, and the song was done in a short amount of time. Of course, when i began to play it i discovered that i simply couldn’t keep up with the racing punk rhythm that i heard in my head. After bouncing around from key to key i wound up half thrashing my guitar and half strumming it, which worked out just fine as far as i was concerned. However, Gina came over today and remarked that it might sound better if i built up a bit more slowly. She showed me what she meant and i joined in with a simple bassline for two run-throughs. Sadly, Gina wasn’t around long enough to cut tonight’s Trio, but the version i played solo was much closer to what she played than what i intended the song to sound like (initially). All of that happened in just one week, so it’s not really hard to see how “Under My Skin” and “Crashing” have evolved over months of constant playing. I’m nearing the 1-year anniversary of “Crashing” … scary stuff. I’m sure i’ll want to talk about that at length when we get there, so i’ll just go back to listening to myself sing now.