Skip to content

10 Tips to Make Your Color Run Awesome(r)

Lilly white at the start line with my run-buddy @AllieHarch!

Today I ran Philadelphia’s inaugural Color Run with my friend and fellow blogger @AllieHarch. It was my first 5k, and the biggest Color Run in the world to date!

The Color Run is an awesome 5k that makes running fun and accessible for athletes of all levels – even someone like me who hates running. While a wave of “tough” runs add obstacles and challenges to their courses, The Color Run marks your route with clouds of primary and secondary colors and celebrates your finish with the best rainbow-colored 8am dance party you’ll ever attend.

Despite almost backing out at 10pm last night, I am so very happy I followed through. I feel awesome from the exercise, and covered my smile quotient for the week. The thrill that went through the crowd as we approached either color zone was incredible, and the party at the end was actually fun!

Sound like your kind of event? There are Color Runs all over the world! If you decide do do one, here are some tips for your from someone who just ran his first race (and who also happens to work to produce one of the largest races in the country).

Our friend @mayasalloum after her rainbow partying at the finish.

1. Be prepared.

If you drive to the run, pack a fresh change of clothes (sneakers, too!) and two sheets or towels – one to lay your shirt on to dry, and another for the seat of your car.

If you don’t drive, at least pack a small gym towel or kerchief in your running sack.

For the race itself, keep your phone and keys in a plastic bag. Even if they’re stain-proof, you don’t want the paste of sweat and color-dust on them.

2. Do the (first) wave.

Post-Run, but Pre-Party

If you want to make the most of the post-race party and the rest of your day, line up early.

We lined up at 6:30am and we were in the first wave to cross the start line at 7am, with no delay. Waves were still releasing when we finished! That gave us plenty of time to take photos and party without it being too crowded.

3. Run, don’t race.

As 5k events go, I did not get the impression that this was one where you should strive to set a personal record. For one, you’ll miss out on getting blasted with color on the course! While I certainly ran enough to make it challenging, the people having the most fun were with groups of friends laughing with each other and meeting new people.

Front row at the party!

4. Avert your eyes.

Well, maybe not avert, but cover them up with a cool pair of shades! Judging from the artillery fire of pinks and purples on my glasses, they were the right way to go. You’ll be squinting and wincing constantly without them.

5. Breath easy.

I found it a little challenging to breath in the 30 seconds after each color zone – it’s as if a bag of colorful flour exploded in your kitchen!

If you think this will bother you, just buy a cheap, disposable dust mask at the drug store to wear in the color zones until the dust clears. Don’t worry, there is plenty of clear space between them to breath freely.

6. Colors run, wet sets.

Sweating through my shirt seemed to set the colors, and encouraged them to bleed into each other, creating a muddy mess where orange met green. Similarly, my sweatiest body parts attracted/absorbed the most color.

If you really want a distinctly colored splatter on your commemorative shirt, wear a tank top beneath your shirt to slow down the colors from running.

Allie and I looking ridiculous, mid-party.

7. Use your head(band).

Going along with that last one, you really don’t want sweat on your face and in your eyes at this event. Make use of the freebie sweatband and/or wear a bandanna.

8. A colorful party.

You can only accumulate so much color on the course itself. If you really want to become a rainbow you need to locate the party at your finish line, where they continue to dispense color packets like Pez while everyone dances. Even if you’re not up for a dance party, the festive environment is unique and very photogenic.

9. The brush-off.

Resist the urge to rinse off your face at the finish or advance immediately to scrubbing when you return home. Your first pass at your face should be a gentle brushing off using facial tissue or a makeup pad. Then, try dabs of olive oil rather than water.

I have sensitive skin and huge, hungry pores, but this tactic kept my face free and clear post-race.

Rainbow haze.

10. Color within the lines.

If you rely on your face, hands, or other bare body part for work or play, consider protecting them from the end-of-run color. Despite dedicated scrubbing of my hands, I’m afraid to play guitar or read graphic novels – my two big Sunday pastimes!

In retrospect, I might have appreciated a set of rubber gloves to wear at the party.

34 Comments

1. Chante wrote:

Good post. I learn something more hard on distinct
    blogs daily. It will always be stimulating to read content of fantastic writers like you.
    I’d choose to use some content in my small weblog
    in case you don’t mind. Naturally I’ll provide a link on
    your own internet weblog. Thank you for sharing.

Friday, May 2, 2014 at 12:43 pm | Permalink
  2. Hello everybody, here every one is sharing these know-how, therefore it’s
    pleasant to read this webpage, and I used to visit this
    blog every day.

Friday, May 2, 2014 at 5:02 pm | Permalink
  3. Everyone loves what you guys tend to be up too.

This sort of clever work and reporting! Keep up the very good works guys
    I’ve incorporated you guys to blogroll.

Sunday, May 4, 2014 at 6:52 pm | Permalink
  4. What’s up to every body, it’s my first pay
    a visit of this blog; this webpage contains awesome and really excellent data in
    support of readers.

Monday, May 5, 2014 at 7:11 am | Permalink
  5. Just how much folic acid do you need to notice a difference in your hair growth.
    Vitamin E is particularly beneficial, promoting
    healing, good blood circulation, and fortified capillary walls.
    This will cause the hair to stretch and finally break.

Thursday, May 15, 2014 at 7:40 pm | Permalink
  6. Hi there, just became aware of your blog through Google,
    and found that it is truly informative. I’m gonna watch out for brussels.
    I’ll be grateful if you continue this in future.

Many people will be benefited from your writing.
    Cheers!

Friday, May 16, 2014 at 1:03 pm | Permalink
  7. Ray wrote:

My brother suggested I might like this web site.
    He was entirely right. This post truly made my day.
    You cann’t imagine simply how much time I had spent for this information!

Thanks!

Friday, May 16, 2014 at 1:39 pm | Permalink
  8. Hello there! I could have sworn I’ve been to this web site before but after going through many of the articles
    I realized it’s new to me. Anyways, I’m certainly happy I discovered it and I’ll be book-marking it and checking back frequently!

Friday, May 16, 2014 at 2:36 pm | Permalink
  9. You will want to lower your consumption of products containing caffeine.

When you keep eating a fixed amount of calories, your body will auto-adjust to burn just that amount, nothing more,
    nothing less. These types of programs are usually for consumable products
    the customer needs to purchase regularly.

Saturday, May 17, 2014 at 3:48 am | Permalink
  10. Hi there! Do you know if they make any plugins to safeguard against hackers?
    I’m kinda paranoid about losing everything I’ve worked
    hard on. Any tips?

Sunday, May 18, 2014 at 1:49 pm | Permalink
  11. clash of lords hack tool carries a large position throughout American Culture.
    Many individuals is frequently viewed involved in pursuits related to clash of lords cheat.
    That is to a certain extent mainly because individuals of all age groups
    can be included in addition to families usually are introduced with each
    other by means of this kind of. Typically a person whom shows their particular do not like with regard
    to clash of lords hack might be deemed a outcast.

Sunday, May 18, 2014 at 8:00 pm | Permalink
  12. eternity warriors 3 hack has a significant role within National Way of
    life. Many individuals is often viewed getting involved in actions related to
    eternity warriors 3 cheats. It is to a certain extent due to the fact
    individuals on most a long time is usually required and also individuals
    usually are added jointly by simply this particular. Generally anyone which shows the detest with regard to eternity warriors 3
    hack android might be thought to be a outcast.

Monday, May 19, 2014 at 4:28 am | Permalink
  13. Undeniably believe that which you said. Your favorite justification seemed to be on the internet the easiest thing to
    be aware of. I say to you, I definitely get irked while people think about worries that they just don’t know about.
    You managed to hit the nail upon the top as well as defined out the whole thing without having side effect ,
    people could take a signal. Will likely be back to get more.
    Thanks

Monday, May 19, 2014 at 6:08 am | Permalink
  14. shadowgun deadzone hack tool includes a large purpose
    inside U . s . Culture. Lots of people can often be seen involved in things to do regarding shadowgun deadzone cheat.

This really is to a certain extent because people on most age
    range might be involved and also families are introduced with each other by simply this.

Commonly an individual who exhibits their don’t like pertaining to
    shadowgun deadzone cheats could possibly be regarded the outcast.

Monday, May 19, 2014 at 11:30 am | Permalink
  15. This post is actually a good one it assists new internet visitors,
    who are wishing in favor of blogging.

Monday, May 19, 2014 at 3:55 pm | Permalink
  16. each time i used to read smaller articles or reviews that as
    well clear their motive, and that is also happening
    with this article which I am reading here.

Monday, May 19, 2014 at 4:28 pm | Permalink
  17. Mad Skills wrote:

Mad Skills Motocross 2 hack carries a substantial purpose with National
    Culture. A lot of people are frequently observed involved in pursuits linked to Mad
    Skills Motocross 2 hack. It is in part because people on
    most age ranges is usually required and households are usually delivered in concert
    by means of this particular. Normally someone which displays the do not like pertaining to Mad Skills Motocross 2 hack may be considered a
    good outcast.

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 at 1:40 am | Permalink
  18. Anxiety and depression is common among hair loss sufferers, especially those
    experiencing total baldness. Traction Alopecia (often caused by excessive or
    tight braiding or ponytails). It improves your hair’s elasticity, texture and strength.

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 at 2:54 am | Permalink
  19. If done correctly, you can lose 2 to 4 pounds in just a single day.
    Therefore, for this we have to go through different reviews related with
    HCG products, such. So, anyone who has used everything but didn’t lose weight may
    use HCG diet drops permanently reasons.

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 at 3:36 am | Permalink
  20. Body scrubs are one of the easiest homemade beauty products
    to make. The US National Library of Medicine warns against ingesting this petroleum product.
    It becomes difficult to treat these scars and therefore acne must be treated with the help of oral drugs and topical creams and lotions.

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 at 4:02 am | Permalink
  21. pills wrote:

If some one needs to be updated with most
    up-to-date technologies after that he must be go to see
    this website and be up to date all the time.

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 at 2:19 pm | Permalink
  22. asphalt 8 wrote:

To lighten driveways made of asphalt in the entirety will be a bit more difficult or expensive, for this a die is
    added in the initial mixture in order to give it a
    discolored look, but if you wait a few years, the driveway will lighten by itself.
    The repair costs for the asphalt is les and the maintenance is also low.
    As you can guess, the full-depth asphalt driveway is
    the more expensive option.

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 at 10:39 pm | Permalink
  23. I am not sure where you’re getting your information, but
    great topic. I needs to spend some time learning more or
    understanding more. Thanks for fantastic info I was looking for this information for my mission.

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 at 3:48 pm | Permalink
  24. I’m curious to find out what blog platform you have been working
    with? I’m experiencing some small security problems with my latest website and I would like to find something more safeguarded.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thursday, May 22, 2014 at 7:20 pm | Permalink
  25. First of all I would like to say fantastic blog! I had a quick
    question which I’d like to ask if you do not mind. I was curious to find out
    how you center yourself and clear your mind prior to writing.
    I’ve had difficulty clearing my mind in getting my thoughts out.

I truly do take pleasure in writing however it just seems like the first 10 to 15
    minutes tend to be wasted just trying to figure out how to begin. Any ideas or tips?
    Thanks!

Thursday, June 5, 2014 at 2:03 am | Permalink
  26. iamsport.org wrote:

Your understanding of this topic is astounding. It truly touched me and I’m happy I found this content.
    Thank you very much.

Thursday, June 5, 2014 at 4:54 pm | Permalink
  27. Good answer back in return of this matter with
    real arguments and describing all about that.

Friday, June 6, 2014 at 3:11 am | Permalink
  28. Heya i’m for the primary time here. I came across
    this board and I to find It truly helpful & it helped me out much.

I hope to offer something back and help others like you aided me.

Monday, June 9, 2014 at 12:06 am | Permalink
  29. http:// wrote:

Now the question remains should you use vitamin E to protect yourself against the foods you eat if you’re not on any drugs.
    Co2 laser surgery, which involves skin grafting,
    is normally considered a final resort if
    you are at the highest point with this problem.
    Antibiotics might be used to treat the infection and might prevent the condition from getting worse.

Monday, June 16, 2014 at 4:47 pm | Permalink
  30. Wow. Intriguing perspective. I enjoyed how you protected this subject….

A few points I dont agree with but hey… thats a new
    viewpoint. I am super sharp to examine your following
    post. Are you able to make the next one more comprehensive?
    Thanks :)

Tuesday, June 17, 2014 at 4:08 am | Permalink
  31. We are a group of volunteers and opening a new scheme in our community.
    Your site provided us with valuable information to work on. You have
    done a formidable job and our entire community will be grateful to you.

– cliquez ici
    – cliquez ici
    – cliquez ici
    – cliquez ici
    – cliquez ici
    – cliquez ici

Tuesday, June 17, 2014 at 10:03 pm | Permalink
  32. Venus Factor wrote:

Hey fantastic website! Does running a blog like this
    require a lot of work? I’ve no expertise in computer programming but I had been hoping to start my
    own blog in the near future. Anyhow, should yoou have
    any ideas or tips for new blog owners please share.

I know this is off topjc nevertheless I just wanted to ask.
    Many thanks!

Wednesday, June 18, 2014 at 9:36 am | Permalink
  33. I’m not that much of a internet reader to be honest but your sites really nice,
    keep it up! I’ll go ahead and bookmark your website to come back down the
    road. All the best

Wednesday, June 18, 2014 at 9:48 am | Permalink
  34. Frances wrote:

Gameplay moves swiftly and some features do offer a glimpse
    of the feature-rich big brother that has provided to PC-managers
    for some years now. If you want to use a personalized radio service, Pandora radio is your best free option. When it comes to the stands and cradles used to position the i
    – Pad or i – Phone, consumers are no longer limited in their choices; they now have a wide range of
    options that will allow them to store or position their
    device however and wherever it suits them best.

Thursday, June 19, 2014 at 7:53 pm | Permalink

One Trackback/Pingback

1. fat burners on Thursday, August 28, 2014 at 5:54 pm

fat burners

Crushing Krisis › 10 Tips to Make Your Color Run Awesome(r)