A reading order for stories starting with Giant-Size X-Men #1 in May 1975 and ending with Uncanny X-Men #142 in February 1981. A part of Crushing Krisis’s Collecting X-Men: A Definitive Guide. Last updated October 2018.
What does Era #2: Second Genesis include?
This era of the X-Men Reading Order is focused on the beginning of the Bronze Age run of X-Men, starting from the introduction of the second generation team in Giant-Size X-Men #1. That includes all of the team’s stories through Dark Phoenix Saga, Kitty Pryde joining the team, and Days of Future Past.
X-titles released in this era:
- Giant Size X-Men (1975) #1 & Uncanny X-Men (1963) #94-142 – see Uncanny X-Men by Chris Claremont
- Angel and Iceman in Champions #1-17 and various Champions guest appearances – see The Champions for collection information
- Captain Britain in Captain Britain, Vol. 1 (1976-77) #1-39, Super Spider-Man and Captain Britain (1977) #231-247, Marvel Team-Up (1972) #65-66 (but not the remainder of his early material – that’s in the next era!) – see Captain Britain & Excalibur for collection information
- Sabretooth’s debut in Iron Fist #14 – see Iron Fist for collection information
Later X-titles set in this era:
- Giant Size X-Men (1975) #3-4
- Back-up stories in Classic X-Men (1986) #1-44
- Uncanny X-Men: First Class (2009) Giant Size & #1-8
- X-Men (1963) is often colloquially referred to as Uncanny X-Men (1963) even though the title did not officially pick up the “Uncanny” adjective until issue #142. That is my convention on Crushing Comics, as it’s all one volume of the same ongoing series.
- Each issue of the Classic X-Men (1986) reprint series included a back-up story. While some back-ups corresponded to the issue they reprinted (as with the back-up in Classic X-Men #3 fitting with UXM #95), many stories are set much earlier or later in continuity. I’ve noted them in their proper reading order here, partially to assist folks who picked up the Classic X-Men omnibus, but from an “ease of reading” standpoint I feel you should read them in batches (which I have also indicated below).
- I treat any Wolverine story that is after he gains his Adamantium in the Weapon X program but before he joins the team as being effectively a Silver Age story that occurred in parallel to Silver Age X-Men, thus they appear in the prior era of the guide.
- Beast joined The Avengers with Avengers (1963) #137 and is not tracked as an X-Man in this era, though he does make appearances in UXM.