The Avengers have always represented Marvel Comics’ heaviest hitters, from their beginning with Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, and Hulk, to today’s team that features Wolverine, Spider-Man, and Captain Marvel.
You might love those characters and the recent movies that feature them, but when it comes to comic books it’s easy to get lost. Avengers have appeared in comics for over fifty years. Where should you begin… and how?
Luckily, many those single issues are collected into graphic novels – hardcovers trade paperbacks, or “TPBs.” Figuring out which collections to buy and in what order turns out to be a very complex task – half research project, half detective novel.
I’ve taken all the work out of it for you. This guide can help you figure out what trade paperback to buy no matter what run of Avengers comics books you’re looking for. If it’s collected in a graphic novel, it’s in this guide.
Each of the following pages contain the titles, issue ranges, ISBNs, and links to the Avengers collections from each ongoing title.
- Avengers (1963-1998)
The original Avengers ongoing title.
- Avengers West Coast (1984-1994)
The first Avengers spin-off team, it prominently featured Iron Man and Scarlet Witch for much of its run.
- Thunderbolts & Dark Avengers (1997-Present)
This team of heroic villains debuted while the Avengers were in the Heroes Reborn universe, and later spawned the Dark Avengers.
- The Avengers (1996-2005)
A brief 1996 re-launch of the Avengers, followed by an ongoing that eventually rejoined the numbering of the original 1963 title, to end at issue #503.
- New Avengers (2005-2010)
The title launched from the ashes of Avengers Disassembled in 2005.
- Mighty Avengers, Vol. 1 & 2 (2006-2010 & 2013-Present)
Two titles spinning out of major events in the run of New Avengers..
- Young Avengers (2006 – Present)
Titles about young and in-training groups of Avengers – including Young Avengers, Avengers: The Initiative, Avengers Academy, Avengers Arena, and Avengers Undercover.
- Secret Warriors & Secret Avengers (2009 – Present)
Two supporting Avengers titles launched about covert ops teams. Secret Warriors concluded in 2010.
- Avengers, New Avengers, and Avengers World (2010 – Present)
The 2010 (and 2012) relaunch of two side-by-side Avengers flagship titles, and the 2014 expansion into Avengers World.
- Avengers Assemble & Avengers A.I. (2011 – Present)
Supporting Avengers titles, each with their own theme or mission statement.
- Uncanny Avengers & A+X (2012 – Present)
An X-Men/Avengers hybrid launched in the wake of Avengers vs. X-Men.
- The X-Men (1963 – Present)
The guide to collecting every X-Men comic book, ever.
- Fantastic Four (1962 – Present)
Over 50 years of Fantastic Four comics in one easy-to-follow collection guide.
- Marvel Universe Events – Marvel has executed regular line-wide crossovers ever since Secret Wars, and they frequently center on our favorite merry band of mutants. Find out how the Avengers were involved in each event, and make sense of the main story without buying every comic involved.
- Captain America – Captain America began as a symbol of a nation’s strength and courage, and emerged from a narrative deep freeze to lead The Avengers. His long and storied history runs from the Golden Age of comics through today, and this guide captures every issue!
- Iron Man – Follow Tony Stark from his creation in anthology title Tales of Suspense to present day, where he is one of Marvel most-recognized characters. This guide includes every issue of Iron Man ever published.
- Ms. Marvel / Captain Marvel – From Air Force pilot to Avenger to Starjammer and back to Earth, Carol Danvers has one of the most colorful histories of the Avengers. Though she has three solo titles to her credit, some of the biggest developments in her career have occured in the issues of other titles – and this guide tracks every one.
- Namor – He was Marvel’s first anti-hero, and now he’s being billed as the first mutant! Namor’s connect to the X-titles is new, but his history dates back to the 1940s – with plenty of collections along the way!
- Spider-Man – Every Spider-Man issue in chronological reading order from 1962 to today! Your friendly neighborhood web-slinger was a solo hero for over 40 years, but when Brian Bendis shook up the Avengers roster in 2005 Peter Parker got caught in the team’s web.
- Thor – Thor is one of Marvel’s longest-running heroes, a founding Avenger, and one of the few characters to die and return more than Jean Grey! Check out this complete guide to his every major appearance from debut to present.
- Wolverine – A carefully crafted chronological guide to all of the many collections of Marvel’s most famous mutant across his many solo series and anthology appearances.