Welcome back to Crushing Comics Book Club for Batman by Grant Morrison! This is the second of three episodes of pre-reading to catch up on some of the themes, characters, and influences on Morrison’s run.
In this episode, we read the first 2/3rds of the Tales of the Demon TPB, which includes the debut of Talia al Ghul and R’as al Ghul. We didn’t know what to expect from these Bronze Age stories, but we wound up falling in love!
Harry is our expert – he loves Batman and Morrison, and he has read this run multiple times. Fariha is our intermediate – she has read plenty of Morrison and DC. And, Peter is now the novice – he’s read some of this run before, but otherwise this is his FIRST TIME reading pre-New-52 Batman!
The stories are:
- Detective Comics #411 – “Into the Den of the Death-Dealers” (May 1971)
- Batman #232 – “Daughter of the Demon” (June 1971)
- Batman #235 – “Swamp Sinister” (Sep 1971)
- Batman #240 – “Vengeance for a Dead Man” (March 1972)
- Batman #242 – “Bruce Wayne – Rest in Peace!” (June 1972)
- Batman #243 – “The Lazarus Pit” (Aug 1972)
- Batman #244 – “The Demon Lives Again!” (Sep 1972)
Tune in next week as we wrap up our pre-reading by finishing the final four issues in Tales of the Demon, as well as the Demon Trilogy of Son of the Demon, Bride of the Demon, and Birth of the Demon.
- MP3 Audio70 MB